Sirius XM Radio Adds 1.7 Million Subscribers in 2011; CEO Mocks Competition
While disclosing good news about the new media company he runs, Mel Karmazin takes a few shots at Pandora and Clear Channel.
Sirius XM Radio said Wednesday it added 1.7 million subscribers in 2011, then CEO Mel Karmazin gave a backhand compliment to one competitor, online music service Pandora, and insinuated another, Clear Channel Communications, was a bit stodgy.
Speaking at Citi's 22nd Annual Global Entertainment Media & Telecommunications Conference, Karmazin said Sirius XM had its best year in terms of adding subscribers since Sirius and XM merged. In the fourth quarter, it added 540,000 to end the year with 21.9 million subscribers.
Then the CEO started to compare his company with Pandora and Clear Channel, noting that the latter, which is celebrating its 40th anniversary, takes in about $3 billion in annual revenue, the same amount generated by Sirius XM, which has been in existence only 10 years.
Karmazin, in fact, isn't enamored with the advertising model in general -- whether its attached to old-fashioned radio or to online music. Sirius XM, he said, boasts 10 times the revenue of Pandora.
"Pandora is a really good company," he said Wednesday in San Francisco. "They've been around for as long as we have -- they've been around for about 10 years. They have about 40 million regular users, maybe more now, and they have $300 million in revenue. So, you know, business models matter. We like our business model of subscription better than the advertising-driven model."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!