Rebekah Brooks and Husband Among Six Murdoch Employees Arrested
The former News International chief executive and her spouse were detained for questioning on Tuesday morning, according to reports.
LONDON – Six people have been arrested by detectives investigating phone-hacking allegations against journalists, Scotland Yard said.
Widespread media reports and news shows across the BBC network including Radio 5 Live and BBC Radio 4 later confirmed the arrests included former News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks and her husband Charlie, a race horse trainer and The Telegraph newspaper columnist.
Scotland Yard said it had made the six arrests in London, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Hertfordshire and that five men and one woman were arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
The arrests, described by the Metropolitan Police as “co-ordinated” come as part of the ongoing Operation Weeting between approximately 0500 and 0700 GMT Tuesday morning.
Operation Weeting is the police led inquiry into the phone-hacking of voicemail boxes.
The 49-year-old man and 43-year-old woman, both from Oxfordshire, a 39-year-old man from Hampshire, a 46-year-old man from west London, a 38-year-old man from Hertfordshire, and a 48-year-old man from east London are being interviewed at police stations in Buckinghamshire, Oxfordshire and London.
The Metropolitan Police said the operation was carried out after consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service.
It brings the total number of arrests in Operation Weeting and its linked inquiries to 45.
The other ongoing investigations are Operation Elveden into corrupt payments to police officers and Operation Tuleta into offences under the Computer Misuse Act.
Scotland Yard was keeping tight-lipped on any more details of its detainees and declined to discuss or reveal any more information.
When asked whether any of those arrested had been detained before, Scotland Yard said it was "not prepared to discuss" the matter, according to The Guardian.
Brooks resigned after 11 days of growing political pressure over the phone-hacking scandal from her role as News International chief executive in July last year.
After being released on bail, Brooks then went on to appear before the Parliamentary select committee investigating the phone-hacking brouhaha.
News International, Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp-owned newspaper publishing division, subsequently shuttered the News Of The World and continues to compensate phone-hacking victims as the investigations continue.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!