Skateboarders, Police Clash at Hollywood Premiere
The LAPD issued a tactical alert after about 300 people congregated at the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Vine.
An unknown number of people attending a skateboarding movie premiere clashed with police Saturday night in Hollywood near the Vine Theater.
Several people identified by local media as skateboarders threw bottles at police officers, according to a report from NBC4. Twitter feeds from people on the scene described police in riot gear flanking the intersection of Hollywood Blvd. and Vine and walking toward the crowd.
According to the website of skateboarding company Bakerboys Distribution, their film Bake and Destroy was slated to premiere at the Vine Theater Saturday night. Reports from the scene indicated a crowd of several hundred had congregated in the area, but many dispersed when police arrived.
A Fox11 helicopter reporter tweeted shortly before 10:15 p.m. “Hollywood LAPD Metro showed up and everybody ran. They didn't even start pushing them yet.” Earlier he estimated about 300 people were at the intersection.
An hour earlier, a woman attending the premiere tweeted “There's a full blown riot with police in riot gear at Hollywood and Ivar.” A man reported "People were cool but then around 830 people were hitting each other with beer cans, throwing cigs at pedestrians & starting fights." According to his tweets, police showed up and several people threw beer cans at their cars.
The confrontation started at about 9 p.m. The LAPD said a tactical alert was been issued for the area. A shopkeeper said they were advised to stay inside with locked doors until the situation was resolved.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'