Sky Deutschland Brings Original Language HBO to Germany
German pay TV group to launch Sky Atlantic service with original versions of "Game of Thrones," "Boardwalk Empire" and "Entourage."
COLOGNE, Germany - News Corp.-controlled German pay TV group Sky Deutschland is targeting rabid fans of Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and Entourage in Germany with the launch of its Sky Atlantic service in the territory.
Sky Atlantic, which bows in May this year in Germany, will offer English-language original versions of these and other HBO series, including The Wire and The Sopranos as well as films and other other highlights from HBO's catalogue.
It is the first time several of these series will be available in English in the territory. It is also a frontal attack on Time Warner's German pay channel TNT Serie, which currently airs Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and several other HBO shows.
The Sky Atlantic brand debuted on News Corp.'s U.K. pay platform BSkyB last year, where it is the exclusive British broadcaster for HBO series. BSkyB put up $235 million (£150 million) in a five-year exclusive output deal with the Time Warner-controlled pay TV group. Sky Deutschland is believed to have a signed a similar long-term output deal for its Sky Atlantic channel, though the company has not given details of the agreement.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR