BSkyB Brings Sky News Arabia to U.K.
The 24-hour Arabic-language news channel is a joint venture of the British pay-TV giant and the Abu Dhabi Media Investment Company.
LONDON -- Sky News Arabia, the 24-hour Arabic-language news channel that is a joint venture of U.K. pay-TV giant BSkyB and the Abu Dhabi Media Investment Company, has launched in Britain.
The Abu Dhabi-based network, launched in May 2012, said that it debuted on BSkyB this week. Terms of the carriage agreement weren't disclosed.
Sky News Arabia's goal has been to become an alternative news source for Arab audiences, including the large number of people under 30, by offering an editorially independent channel with balanced news and analysis across media platforms. "The U.K. launch comes as part of Sky News Arabia’s continuing distribution expansion to reach Arab communities around the world," the network said.
Last year, it launched an advertising campaign in the Middle East using the slogan "New Horizons."
“The availability of Sky News Arabia on the Sky platform marks an important step in reaching one of the Arab world’s most important overseas communities," said Nart Bouran, head of Sky News Arabia. "When we launched nearly a year ago, our priority was to target our core markets in the Middle East and North Africa, which we have done successfully. We have taken a number of key steps to expand our distribution since then -- making our feed available on Hotbird for European audiences, for example -- and the U.K. is one more milestone as we continue to find new ways to reach Arabic speakers wherever they may be."
Said John Ryley, head of Sky News, about the U.K. launch: "It brings Arabic speaking viewers in the UK. a fresh independent perspective on Arabic news and builds on Sky News’ strong reputation for impartial and innovative coverage.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)