'Skyfall' Sets Second Highest Opening Weekend for a Hollywood film in India
The latest James Bond installment comes in second after highest opener “The Amazing Spiderman.”
NEW DELHI – Skyfall has set the second highest opening weekend gross for a Hollywood release in India collecting about $ 5.1 million (Rupees 275 million). The Sam Mendes-directed 23rd installment of the James Bond franchise was released here by Sony Pictures India. The film opened on Nov. 1 with 907 prints (the largest 2D Hollywood release ever) in four languages – English, Hindi, Tamil and Telugu - and on IMAX screens. In its first week of release, Skyfall has now collected about Rupees 345 million. The two previous James Bond films, Quantum of Solace and Casino Royale, posted cumulative gross box office figures of Rupees 444 million and Rupees 403 million respectively.
The highest opening weekend ever by a Hollywood film in India was recorded by The Amazing Spiderman released this summer by Sony Pictures India. The superhero caper grossed about $6 million (Rupees 340 million) from over 1,200 prints over its three-day opening weekend.
“Skyfall has not only continued India’s fascination with the James Bond franchise, but also expanded it. The anticipation for the film has been unprecedented, going into high gear with the celebrations of the 50th year of the film franchise earlier in October. Extremely positive reviews and word-of-mouth will ensure that the film has a long and successful run at the box office and will garner repeat viewings as well,” said Sony Pictures India managing director Kercy Daruwala.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10