Small buys get ball rolling at Sundance
UPDATED 1:15 p.m. PT Jan. 19
PARK CITY -- Several small acquisitions kicked off the Sundance Film Festival on Thursday.
HBO Docs said that it has picked up "The Black List: Volume One." Timothy Greenfield-Sanders directed the movie, in which journalist and former New York Times critic Elvis Mitchell interviews black cultural figures and icons ranging from Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Sean Combs to Colin Powell.
An exhibit, book and other projects will accompany the film, with HBO execs saying the project is an ongoing one and could well include a second volume. No airdate has been set.
Also Thursday, William Morris Independent said it has sold international rights to Lance Hammer's small-town Southern drama "Ballast" to Celluloid Dreams, which will parcel out rights to various territories.
The movie, which is produced by Hammer and Nina Parikh and executive produced by Andrew Adamson and Mark Johnson, premieres this weekend in Park City. William Morris Independent will peddle domestic rights at the festival.
Meanwhile, Zeitgeist Films said that it has acquired all U.S. rights except television to the Chinese docu "Up the Yangtze."
"Yangtze" chronicles director Yung Chang's journey back to the place alongside the river where his grandfather lived as the Yangtze is about to be flooded by the Chinese government.
The film, which premieres today in Park City, is slated for an April release.
- The Epic Disney Blow-Up of 1994
- Mickey Rooney's Final Days Marred by Bizarre Family Feud
- Why Stephen Colbert Is the Perfect David Letterman Replacement
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Selena Gomez Flashes Black Bra in Sexy Sheer Dress at Coachella with Kendall & Kylie Jenner!
- Robert Downey Jr. Stars in Another HTC Phone Commercial
- Sofia Vergara & Vanessa Paradis Stun in Black at 'Fading Gigilo' NYC Screening!
- Jennifer Garner Talks About Ben Affleck's Competitive Nature on 'Live with Kelly & Michael'!