Former Smashing Pumpkins Bassist D'arcy Wretzky Arrested, Jailed
The original member of the alt-rock group, who owns horses, was arrested Tuesday on an outstanding warrant related to charges of "animals running at large."
Former Smashing Pumpkins member D'arcy Wretzky is behind bars this week.
The original bassist for the band is currently in Michigan's Berrien County Jail for the most unlikely of reasons: her horses ran wild through the small town she now lives in, causing her neighbors to call the cops back in 2009.
The actual charge, as first reported by TMZ this morning and confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter Thursday was related to "animals running at large." Had the bassist simply shown up to court or paid fines stemming from the ticket(s), a warrant would not have been issued for her arrest.
However, the musician who left the Pumpkins years ago missed four consecutive court dates and fines related to the incident, per TMZ, forcing a warrant to be issued for her arrest. Animal Control officials in Berrien County confirmed four counts on Thursday to the Reporter.
Earlier this week, the 42-year-old was taken into custody because of the 2009 incident and subsequent unpaid fines. According to a representative at the Berrien County Sheriff's Department Thursday afternoon, Wretzky was arrested at around 11 a.m. Tuesday morning.
It's not known how police caught up with the former member of the Grammy-winning act, who was in the Smashing Pumpkins from 1988 to 1999, but she's due to be released from a Michigan jail Monday, Feb. 14 pending the result of her forthcoming court date.
Earlier this week, a Berrien County district judge sentenced Wretzky to six days in jail, where the singer currently resides.
Wretzky is not the first alt-rock purveyor to spend time behind bars for charges related to animals in recent memory. In 2009, Missing Persons singer Dale Bozzio turned herself in to New Hampshire police over charges relating to cats that died in a home she owned while the singer was on tour.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'