The Smiths' Johnny Marr Signs With Warner Music for First Solo Album
"The Messenger" will be released in the U.S. and U.K. in late February.
Former The Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr has signed with Warner Music for the release of his first solo album, "The Messenger."
The music giant will release the album on Feb. 25 in the U.K. via Warner Bros. Records. In the U.S., it will be released via Sire/ADA starting Feb. 26.
Since leaving The Smiths in 1987 amid a strained relationship with Morrissey, Marr has been a member of Electronic, The The, Modest Mouse, The Cribs and Johnny Marr and the Healers. Now, he is looking to bring out his first album on his own.
Born in the U.K., the Portland, Ore.-based Marr also composed music for the score of 2010 hit movie Inception.
About "The Messenger" Marr said: “The underlying idea of the record is my experience of growing up in Europe. When you’re away from your home city you’re more compelled to write about it, whether that’s because you’re homesick or you’ve got more objectivity, I don’t know."
Marr, born John Martin Maher, had formed The Smiths with Morrissey in 1982 and recorded four albums with the band before they split.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)