'Smoke and Mirrors' for Fremantle Corp.
New vampire series based on books by Canadian Tanya Huff
TORONTO -- The Fremantle Corporation and Kaleidoscope Entertainment are developing a new vampire series, "Smoke & Mirrors," based on the "Smoke" book series by Canadian fantasy author Tanya Huff.
Kaleidoscope in 2007 turned Huff's "Blood" book series into the Lifetime Television series "Blood Ties," which also aired in Canada on Citytv and Space.
Fremantle and Kaleidoscope are now shopping "Smoke & Mirrors," starting at MIPTV, as a possible Canadian-European co-production. The urban fantasy series will see the return of Henry Fitzroy, the 474 year-old vampire, in a series of paranormal misadventures experienced on a fictional TV series shoot.
Kaleidoscope president Randall Zalken will executive produce the Canadian vampire drama.
The launch of "Smoke & Mirrors" comes as Toronto-based Fremantle continues developing a slate of commercial dramas as co-productions for global distribution.
The pipeline includes the western mini-series "Doc West," co-produced with Italy's DAP, and 26 episodes of a new animation series, "Fang Force," co-produced with Britain's Strict Machine.
The strategy is to tap tax credits and other soft money available from official co-production partners.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills