Snooki's $32K Rutgers Payday: What Toni Morrison Thinks About Getting Paid $2K Less
The Nobel Prize-winning author will receive less money than the "Jersey Shore" star, a.k.a. Nicole Polizzi, to speak at the university.
Rutgers University officials' decision to pay Nicole "Snooki" Polizzi $32,000 to speak on their campus last week -- $2,000 more than Novel Prize-winning author Toni Morrison will receive to speak at the school's graduation this year -- drew ire from students and parents.
But what does Morrison herself have to say about it?
"I don't know her ... and I don't care," she told the New York Post.
Morrison added that it doesn't bother her that Polizzi -- who addressed a crowd of 2,000 -- will get paid more than her. Morrison is scheduled to appear before 50,000 people at the commencement ceremony.
In fact, the author said she slashed her usual appearance fees for the school.
"I have some nostalgia about Rutgers because I used to teach there so, in effect, I cut my fee in half," she said.
Last week, Rutgers defended its decision to pay Polizzi the $32,000 fee to have her speak on its campus.
"We have more than 200 events on our campus during the course of the year, everything from scholarly presentations to entertainment," Rutgers spokesman Steve Manas said in a statement. "The students canvassed for who they wanted here and had the funds available."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama