Sony to Bring 'Angry Birds' to Big Screen in 2016
The animated feature is based on the video game sensation, downloaded 1.7 billion times.
Angry Birds is headed to the big screen.
Sony Pictures has nabbed the worldwide distribution rights to an animated film based on Rovio Entertainment's addictive video game sensation, which has been downloaded 1.7 billion times.
The 3D film is expected to be released July 1, 2016.
John Cohen and David Maisel -- producer of Despicable Me and executive producer of Iron Man, respectively -- both have signed on to produce.
“Sony impressed us with their great attitude, determination and professionalism," says Mikael Hed, CEO of the Finland-based Rovio, in a statement. "They convinced us that we have found the right partners and team to help us market and distribute our first motion picture."
Adds Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment, "Every studio in town would love to add Angry Birds to their slate...We’re thrilled to be distributing this film and we hope this is just the beginning of what will be a long relationship with Rovio as we look for ways to work on future projects together.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack