EXCLUSIVE: Sony Classics Circling Morgan Spurlock's 'Greatest Movie Ever Sold'
The meta-documentary, in which the director tries to get companies to sponsor his movie, will have its world premiere at Sundance later this month.
Sony Pictures Classics is in active pursuit of Morgan Spurlock's latest nonfiction work, The Greatest Movie Ever Sold, which will have its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival in just 12 days.
A meta-documentary about product placement, branding and advertising in entertainment, Greatest Movie Ever Sold follows Spurlock as he tries to get companies and brands to sponsor his movie.
"Everywhere you look it seems like something's being brought to you by some sponsor or some corporation," Spurlock told The Hollywood Reporter recently from a New York editing room as he tries to get the film ready for the fest. "So we said, 'Why not make a doc that looks at that and have the brands actually pay for it?'"
CAA is repping Spurlock's film, but neither the agency nor SPC would comment on a possible deal for domestic rights. There's always a chance talks could fall apart, but insiders say the interest is serious and talks are ongoing.
Spurlock has become a Sundance regular: Both his debut, 2004's Super Size Me, and 2008's Where in the World is Osama bin Laden screened at the festival. Super Size Me ultimately grossed more than $20 million worldwide. In selecting Greatest Movie Ever Sold to play in the out-of-competition Documentary Premieres section, Sundance programmers proclaimed the film a potential "docbuster."
SPC has been very active at Sundance in recent years, grabbing rights to movies including Animal Kingdom in 2010 and An Education in 2009.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game