Sony Lawyer: 'The Interview' "Will Be Distributed"
"Sony only delayed this," David Boies said on 'Meet the Press' about release plans for the controversial comedy
Sony lawyer David Boies appeared on NBC's Meet the Press on Sunday, where he said that the studio still plans to release The Interview.
"Sony only delayed this," Boies said. "Sony has been fighting to get this picture distributed. It will be distributed. How it's going to be distributed, I don't think anybody knows quite yet. But it's going to be distributed."
Sony CEO Michael Lynton had previously stated that the studio intends to release the film, in which Seth Rogen and James Franco play guys sent to North Korea to assassinate Kim Jong Un, but that no major VOD distributors have been willing to carry it.
Boies referred to last month's cyberattack on Sony's systems as "a state sponsored criminal attack on an American corporation and its employees." He said that Sony has appreciated the FBI's participation in investigating the hack, and now "the rest of the government has got to get behind it and has got to figure out a way that we can protect our national security."
"This is not a Sony security problem," Boies said. "This is a national security problem. And the government has got to lead."
Boies also said that President Obama's recent comments about the cyberattack, including stating that the U.S. would "respond proportionally," have been "helpful in some respects." Boies added: "I would have liked to have seen it a little earlier" and "without the sort of 'blame the victim' aspect of it."
Sony announced Wednesday that it was canceling The Interview's release after theater chains pulled the film. Hackers had threatened a 9/11-style attack if the film hit theaters.
The FBI has identified North Korea as responsible for the hack, although the country's officials deny involvement and have proposed a joint investigation with the U.S.