Sony Moving 'White House Down' to Heart of Summer 2013
Roland Emmerich's action pic -- starring Channing Tatum -- will open on June 28 instead of Nov. 2, 2013.
Sony is giving White House Down the VIP treatment.
The action tentpole has been moved up from Nov. 1, 2013, and now will hit theaters June 28. Directed by Roland Emmerich, the pic stars Channing Tatum as a Secret Service agent tasked with rescuing the president from a paramilitary group that has taken over the White House.
The move means White House Down will play over the lucrative Fourth of July holiday frame, similar to Emmerich's Independence Day; in a twist of fate, Fox is re-releasing the 3D version of that 1996 alien-invasion hit on July 3.
By relocating, White House Down also gives itself more of a cushion against rival White House pic Olympus Has Fallen, starring Gerard Butler and produced by Millennium Films (that film hasn't yet been dated).
White House Down -- also starring Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jamie Foxx, James Woods and Richard Jenkins -- now will open against Fox comedy The Internship and Universal's action-adventure R.I.P.D.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR