Sony Picks Up Remake Rights to French Crime Drama 'A Prophet'
Neal Moritz and Toby Jaffe will produce the English-language remake.
Sony Pictures has optioned the rights to remake 2009 French hit A Prophet.
Neal H. Moritz and Toby Jaffe will produce via their studio-based Original Film banner.
The crime drama, directed by Jacques Audiard (who also directed last year’s Marion Cotillard drama Rust and Bone), centers on a young Algerian man who is mentored by a crime boss while in prison and rises to lead a syndicate.
The movie was nominated for a best foreign film Oscar and won the grand prize at the Cannes Film Festival as well as nine Cesars, the French equivalent of the Oscars.
No writer and director are attached at this stage.
Moritz is best known as the producer of the Fast & Furious movies and has the Ryan Reynolds-Jeff Bridges supernatural action movie R.I.P.D. coming out this summer. For Sony, he last produced the Total Recall remake as well as 21 Jump Street.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Let's Help Rush Limbaugh With This Whole Movies With The Word 'Slave' In The Title Thing