Sony Pictures Calling in FBI to Investigate Latest Cyber Attack on Company


Sony Pictures has asked the U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation for help in identifying the hackers responsible for the latest attack on the company.

In a statement issued Friday, SPE’s top executives acknowledged that their company’s site had been the object of a new attack by a group calling itself “LulzSec.”

The hackers said Thursday that it had broken into SonyPictures.com, gaining access to more than 1 million users’ personal information. The group said it was not out "to come across as master hackers" but to expose "primitive and common vulnerabilities" on the Sony site.

“The cybercrime wave that has affected Sony companies and a number of government agencies, businesses and individuals in recent months has hit Sony Pictures as well,” SPE chairman and CEO Michael Lynton and co-chairman Amy Pascal said.

“Yesterday afternoon a group of criminal hackers known as 'LulzSec' claimed to have breached some of our websites. We have confirmed that a breach has occurred and have taken action to protect against further intrusion. We also retained a respected team of experts to conduct the forensic analysis of the attack, which is ongoing.”

They said they have asked the FBI “to assist in the identification and apprehension of those responsible for this crime,” and added: “We deeply regret and apologize for any inconvenience caused to consumers by this cybercrime.”

The "Lulzsec" hackers also took credit for an attack on the PBS website last weekend, posting a fake story on PBS.org, saying that the late rapper Tupac Shakur was still alive.

The new attack comes in the wake of an attack by another group on Sony’s PlayStation Network in April. Sony was just recovering from the shutdown that resulting, having announced plans to “fully restore all PlayStation Network services June 2, in the Americas, Europe/PAL territories and Asia, excluding Japan, Hong Kong and South Korea."

comments powered by Disqus