Sony Pictures Classics Acquires 'Jodorowsky's Dune' Rights for North America
Frank Pavich's doc looks at a 1970s attempt to adapt Frank Herbert's landmark sci-fi novel.
Sony Picture Classics has acquired the North American rights to Frank Pavich's documentary Jodorowsky's Dune.
The film chronicles the mid-1970s attempt by filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky to adapt Frank Herbert's landmark sci-fi novel Dune. The documentary premiered at Cannes in May.
"To have my first film distributed by Sony Pictures Classics is a dream come true.," said Pavich in a statement. "I'm incredibly excited to know that we will be working alongside the company that so fully supported such great documentaries like Crumb and Searching for Sugar Man. SPC has seen that, even though this is a documentary about a never-completed film, it is not a story about failure. It's a story about ambition and how the power of art can effectively change the world."
In a festival review, The Hollywood Reporter's Stephen Dalton described Jodorowsky's Dune as an "homage" to a lost film. "For all its claims of prophetic genius, Pavich’s documentary may well prove to be a more enjoyable film than the high-camp carnival of excess it seeks to commemorate," he wrote.
In addition to Pavich, Jodorowsky's Dune is produced Stephen Scarlata and Travis Stevens. Donald Rosenfeld is the executive producer.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)