Sony Pictures Classics Acquires Michael Haneke's New Film, 'Amour'
The movie stars Jean-Louis Trintignant, Emmanuelle Riva and Isabelle Huppert.
Sony Pictures Classics has acquired all North American rights to Michael Haneke’s newest film Amour from Films Du Losange. Written and directed by Haneke, the film stars Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva as a married couple in their 80s who are tested when the wife suffers a stroke. Isabelle Huppert also stars in the film as their daughter.
Amour is widely expected to appear on the list of films, to be announced Thursday, that have been chosen to screen at the 65th Cannes Film Festival. It was produced by Stefan Arndt, Veit Heiduschka and Margaret Ménégoz along with co-producer Michael Katz.
The acquisition marks the third Haneke film that SPC will have distributed in the U.S. The company also released 2005’s Cache and the director’s 2009 Palme d’Or winner The White Ribbon. Both of those films were nominated for Academy Awards for best foreign-language film.
“Amour once again confirms Michael Haneke's place as one of the world's finest filmmakers. American audiences are in for a moving experience. We are so pleased to continue our fruitful relationship with Michael and his producers Margaret Ménégoz and Stefan Arndt, who continue to make the very best movies," SPC, which is headed by Michael Barker and Tom Bernard, said in a statement.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'