Sony Pictures Close to Financing Deal With Blue Anchor
The deal, which according to a source has been in various stages of discussion for about two years, would bring Sony about $300 million in equity financing over a three-year term.
Sony Pictures is hoping to close a long-gestating financing deal with Blue Anchor Entertainment, sources confirm.
The deal, which according to a source has been in various stages of discussion for about two years, would bring Sony about $300 million in equity financing over a three-year term, plus possible additional credit.
A second source with knowledge of the situation says the deal "is nowhere near closing," but, should it come together, would provide financing for Columbia Pictures and possibly Tom Rothman's newly revived TriStar unit. Screen Gems, which makes lower-budget films, might not be involved.
An insider says the deal might close within a couple of weeks, adding: "People are pretty focused on getting it done."
Sony Pictures spokesman Charles Sipkins declined to comment.
Attorney John LaViolette and producer Joseph Singer are the principals in Blue Anchor.
Sony has long been on the quest for outside financing, hoping to follow the model in place at Paramount, Warners, Universal and Fox. Among the major studios, only Disney eschews outside financing.
Sony had recently been under pressure to operate more efficiently and transparently from investor Daniel Loeb. But sources say that, at this point, Loeb has abandoned plans to push for further change.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)