Sony to Produce TV Version of Robert Rodriguez's 'El Mariachi'
The revenge drama will be shot in Mexico and will star Ivan Arana.
MEXICO CITY -- Sony Pictures Television is producing 70 episodes of El Mariachi, an original series based on Robert Rodriguez's 1993 shoot-'em-up film of the same name .
The Spanish-language drama marks the first time that Sony and its Colombian partner Teleset will produce a series entirely in Mexico. Ivan Arana (Soy tu Fan) stars as the lovestruck, revenge-seeking mariachi who wages war against fearsome drug cartels. El Mariachi also features Mexican actors Martha Higareda (Street Kings) and Julio Bracho (Road to Fame).
"Staying true to the story, we are producing the series in Mexico, shooting in magnificent locations and utilizing some of the country's best talent," said Angelica Guerra, Sony senior vp production in Latin America and the U.S. Hispanic market.
The series will air on Sony Entertainment Television in Latin America and on an as-yet-unannounced U.S. network.
Sony and Teleset also are producing Metastasis, a Colombia-set Spanish-lingo adaptation of Breaking Bad. Shooting began last month in Bogota.
As for Rodriguez, who made his feature debut with El Mariachi, his latest film, Machete Kills, will have its world premiere on Sept. 19 at the Fantastic Fest in Austin.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR