Sony Unit Acquires Josh Hutcherson-Dane Cook Film 'Detention'
SPWA has picked up worldwide rights to the Joseph Kahn-directed movie, which is billed as an apocalyptic teen romantic comedy.
Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions has picked up worldwide rights to Detention Films' Detention, which bills itself as an apocalyptic, body-swapping, time-traveling teen romantic comedy.
The movie, starring Josh Hutcherson, Dane Cook and Shanley Caswell and directed by Joseph Kahn, claimed the Youth Jury prize for best FutureWave Feature Film at the just-concluded Seattle International Film Festival. It concerns a group of students dealing with a slasher killer as they navigate their last year of high school.
Kahn co-wrote the film with Mark Palermo. It was produced by MaryAnn Tanedo and Richard Weager, with exec producers Robert Abramoff, Hutcherson, David Kang, Clayton Reaser and Vernon Reaser.
“The pace, energy and awesomeness Kahn has achieved in Detention are completely mind-blowing in the best way possible,” said SPWA vp production Scott Shooman, who announced the acquistion along with SPWA senior vp business affairs Michael Helfand and Detention Films’ Abramoff and Weager.
The deal was brokered by ICM, which packaged the film and represented worldwide rights, and also reps Kahn and Hutcherson.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)