South Africa Comes of Age
Diverse locations, low costs and cash rebates have transformed the once-troubled region into a major force on the global film scene.
In February, when the sci-fi hit Chronicle led the U.S. weekend box office, soon followed by the Denzel Washington-Ryan Reynolds thriller Safe House, few viewers realized that both were made in South Africa -- a nation that has emerged from the twilight of apartheid to an increasingly brilliant film and TV future.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR