South Africa to Get Its First Imax Theater
The giant screen exhibitor's debut multiplex in the major African market comes via a partnership with local operator Ster-Kinekor.
TORONTO -- Imax has inked a deal for its first commercial multiplex theater in South Africa, via Ster-Kinekor Theaters.
The deal will see Imax install a super-sized screen in the Ster-Kinekor Gateway Multiplex in a shopping mall in Durban.
"Today's agreement -- with South Africa's number-one exhibitor at the country's number-one cinema complex -- represents the ideal scenario under which to mark Imax's first commercial multiplex entry into the country," said Andrew Cripps, president of Imax EMEA.
Imax is looking for its anchor theater with Ster-Kinekor to spur added theater sales in South Africa and the region.
Ster-Kinekor Theaters, a subsidiary of the Primedia Group, operates 52 locations in South Africa and another five in Namibia, Zambia, Lesotho and Zimbabwe.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR