South Korean Films Hit 100 Million Admissions at Local Box Office
Homegrown movies passed the milestone for the second consecutive year, while box-office sales for the third quarter of 2013 also broke records.
South Korean films have sold 100 million tickets at the local box office for the second year running, the Korean Film Council announced Oct. 5. Given the country’s population of 50 million, local cinemagoers have seen an average two Korean films per month so far in 2013.
Eight out of top 10 grossing films so far this year are locally produced works, including Miracle in Cell No. 7, which became one of the most-watched Korean films ever with 12.8 million admissions.
Homespun titles also enjoyed record box office sales for a given quarter this past July-September, attracting 4.325 million admissions. This breaks the previous record of 3.845 million for January-March of 2013.
Local blockbusters including Snowpiercer (9.3 million admissions) and The Face Reader (8.7 million) accounted for the top seven highest grossing titles of the third quarter. General theater admissions including films from all territories also reached a new milestone of 6.718 million admissions during the period.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!