Spain's Telecinco Cinema Reveals Slate for 2013-2014
Films include a cluster of thrillers and comedies with English-language projects and a sequel to the box office hit "Tad: The Lost Explorer."
MADRID - Amidst the box office success of Tad: The Lost Explorer and the critical accolades of The Impossible, Spain's most important production house Telecino Cinema -- The Orphanage, Agora, Pan's Labyrinth -- revealed a two-year slate Thursday that sees 10 new projects, including the upcoming thrillers by Enrique Urbizu and Daniel Monzon.
Goya Award winning director Monzon reteams with his Cell 211 scripwriter to shoot El Nino (The Kid). Spanish lead actor Luis Tosar -- also from Cell 211 -- will head the cast in a co-production with Ikiru Films and Vaca Films. Nino taps into the emotionally charged story of immigrants who brave the waters on small rafts trying to close the gap from Africa to Europe via Spain. The film is the only Spanish project to receive Eurimages financing from the European Council, designed to promote European cienma.
But first up, Patxi Amezcua will directo 7th Floor, starring Ricardo Darin and Belen Rueda. El Toro, Ikiru, Cepa Audiovisual and Telecinco co-produce the thriller that sees a father's innocent game with his children unravel in a kidnapping that tests the fragility of his world. Shooting will start in October in Buenos Aires.
Few details were revealed about Urbizu's follow up to his award winning No Rest for the Wicked other than it will take the shape of a thriller with touches of black comedy against the backdrop of social statement.
But Telecinco did outline an English-language thriller in Way Down, featuring a script by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo's co-scribe on Intact, Andres Koppel. A co-production with Think Studio, the film delves into the world of underwater treasure hunters and a coveted jewel tucked away in a safe box in the Bank of Spain. The only time to access it will be when the whole country comes to a halt -- during the final game of the World Cup where the Spanish national soccer team is poised to win in South Africa.
Telecinco is presently enjoying the strong run of animated Tad, which has locked in the top spot in the weekly Spanish box office for the past five consecutive weekends--something only ever achieved by Avatar in the past. The film, distributed by Paramount, has raked in more than $14.5 million -- big bucks in Spain.
In fact, Enrique Gato will direct the sequel of Tad with a script by Gorka Magallon, Javier Barreira, Jordi Gasuli, Ignacio del Moral and Neil Landau, while Telecinco is also prepaing another animated venture called Capture the Flag, playing with the idea of colonizing the moon and exploiting its natural resources.
Telecino also revealed three comedies, including Ocho Apellidos Vascos to be directed by Emilio Martinez-Lazaro and co-produced with LaZona Films, focusing on a culture clash between folkloric southern Spain and the more industrial-minded Basque region.
Joaquin Llamas will direct romantic comedy Perdona si te Llamo Amor (Excuse me if I call you Love), Fernando Colomo will handle comedy Ni Por Todo el Dinero Del Mundo (Not for All the Money in the World) and Jorge Sanchez-Cabezudo will direct Air Cocaine, a thriller with a script crafted by the director and his brother, Alberto Sanchez Cabezudo featuring a commercial flight to transport drugs to Europe that goes down in the middle of the desert.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!