'Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark's' Bono, The Edge Answer to Critics (Video)
"If Spider-Man were to disappear, certainly the late-night comics would be very sad," jokes Bono at opening night.
U2's Bono and The Edge were in good spirits at Tuesday's opening night of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark on Broadway.
"It's such a feeling of elation. We feel like the show's really come through the fire," The Edge told Access Hollywood on the red carpet. "Really what we always set out to do… move people, get into the characters, take them on a journey… we feel it is now."
Bono said the show's ups and downs have been "a humbling experience. We had a lot to learn."
"Wow, what a sense of achievement tonight," he added. "Some people won't like it. Some people want to kill us. We've come in from the outside…." But Bono says the Broadway community has embraced his and The Edge's involvement with the $70 million production.
Of running into ousted director Julie Taymor, The Edge said, "I'm so happy see her tonight. It's right and proper to see her tonight."
Bono says the "last version" -- by Taymor -- "was magic…[but] the story didn't quite cohere."
And they weren't bothered by Neil Patrick Harris' ribbing at the Tony Awards.
"We would have been hurt if they ignored us. It's a bit of a sport around here," joked Bono. "It's with great affection. If Spider-Man were just to disappear, certainly the late-night comics would be very sad."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!