Sportsnet Takes Canadian Rights to Europe, World Cup Soccer Qualifiers
The Canadian sports cable channel put a bet on over 500 qualification matches for the UEFA Euro 2016 and 2018 FIFA tournaments.
TORONTO – Canadian sports cable channel Sportsnet has made another big wager on European soccer as it picks up the exclusive Canadian media rights to qualification matches for the UEFA Euro 2016 and the 2018 FIFA World Cup tournaments.
Financial terms of the deal were not revealed, but the agreement has Sportsnet winning access to 258 qualifiers for UEFA EURO 2016 from September 2014 and another 258 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifies, starting in September 2016.
Sportsnet, a division of Rogers Media, and arch-rival TSN aligned with Bell Media already share the Canadian media rights to English Premiere League matches, with each airing 190 matches annually through 2016.
Sportsnet has the local rights to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil, while TSN has the Canadian rights to the Euro 2016 soccer competition.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Aaron Paul 'Can't Wait' to Have Kids with Lauren Parsekian, Hopes They're Mini Versions of His Wife!
- Milo Ventimiglia & His 'Visitors' Cast Are Excited to Start Filming!
- Andrew Garfield & Emma Stone Show Us How to Really Kiss with Passion On and Off-Screen!
- Hilary Duff Just Can't Get Enough of La Conversation!