Stargate Studios Opens Toronto Office As Part of International Expansion
The Hollywood visual effects producer is also eyeing possible alliances in Berlin and Singapore.
TORONTO - U.S. visual effects producer Stargate Studios is following an eastward shift in Hollywood production in Canada by opening a Toronto office.
Stargate, which has run a Vancouver office for ten years, said it is continuing its global expansion with a downtown Toronto office, to be led by Kris Wood and filled initially with around 15 artists.
Current projects for Stargate Toronto include the SyFy series Haven and the Lifetime series Against the Wall.
Visual effect alliances in Berlin and Singapore are also eyed by the Los Angeles producer, opened in 1989 by Sam Nicholson.
Stargate said a host of Los Angeles film and TV producers are taking advantage of generous tax breaks in Ontario, boosting demand in Toronto for its post production services.
British Columbia’s labor-based tax credit has not kept pace with a more generous all-spend tax credit in Ontario and Quebec, sending production eastwards.
Stargate also has international alliances with Chilefilms in Latin America, Labyrinth in Mumbai, and The Bigger Picture in Malta.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR