Starship Music Sales Spike in U.K. Amid TV Ad Campaign Using 1987 Hit
Sales of "Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now" jump by more than 1,500 percent and put the band back onto the charts thanks to a TV spot that has aired on the likes of the U.K. edition of "X Factor."
LONDON – Starship's "Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now" has re-entered the U.K. singles charts, putting the band back on the list of top-selling music for the first time in nearly 26 years.
With sales boosted by an advertising campaign for telecom and pay TV firm Talk Talk that has aired on such shows as The Factor U.K., "Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now" rose to number 145 in early September and then number 39 this past Sunday.
"Since the ad campaign kicked off on Aug. 31, sales of "Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now" have increased by a massive 1,520 percent, and last week the track was downloaded 7,600 times in the U.K.," the Official Charts Company said on Tuesday.
The hit, featured in the Kim Cattrall movie Mannequin, rose to the top of the British charts in 1987 after debuting in the number 29 spot. It reached the top four weeks later, staying there for a month before being toppled by Whitney Houston’s "I Wanna Dance With Somebody."
Talk Talk has launched a campaign to try and get the track to number 1 again this week, the Official Charts Company said. "However, they face tough competition from reigning Official Singles Chart queen Katy Perry’s "Roar," as well as new releases from Coldplay ("Atlas"), Example ("All The Wrong Places") and Arcade Fire and David Bowie ("Reflektor")," it added.
The TV spot using the Starship song features an animated astronaut and a ballerina who settle down for a date night, watching Talk Talk TV. The spot touts the TV service as providing "a brighter home for everyone."
The weekly charts show airs on BBC Radio 1 every Sunday.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10