Start-Up to Launch First App Game Show
"Braindex" will let iPad viewers compete against celebrities in a trivia contest.
A start-up company is set to announce Thursday what they are calling the first "app show" in history, a game show dubbed "Braindex" where iPad viewers compete for bragging rights against mostly minor celebrities.
Braindex is from TouchFrame, an “app show network” that was launched out of MuckerLab, a start-up accelerator that typically purchases 5-6 percent of an early stage company for $21,000 and helps it become successful.
Braindex is co-produced by 51 Minds Entertainment, a company owned by Endemol. TouchFrame was founded by CEO Sam Rogoway, formerly and entertainment attorney, along with Jon Zimelis, a former UTA agent and Chris Lavender, who founded Miso Media, a music-education company that was featured on the TV show Shark Tank.
Braindex begins each episode much like an old-fashioned TV game show, with the host, Internet personality Alex Blagg, interviewing the celebrity contestant, giving him or her an opportunity to pitch their newest project or pet charity. Celebrities are not paid for their appearances.
When the trivia-style game begins, viewers can play head-to-head against the celebrity, whose answers are filmed in advance, and also against Facebook friends. In the future, said Rogoway, prizes might be offered to iPad viewers who perform well. For now, though, it’s all about bragging rights.
“You can boast that you have a 75 percent bigger brain than Mike Tyson, or one of your friends,” he said.
For now, Tyson is arguably the best-known personality to be featured in an episode. Others will include La La Anthony of La La’s Full Court Life, Jason Mewes of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Jenni Pulos of Flipping Out, comedian Andy Milonakis and Rick Moonen of Top Chef Masters.
TouchFrame intends on partnering with TV game-show producers and rolling out other app game shows in the coming months. The company will earn revenue via video ads and by selling premium versions of its app shows.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!