Stephen Colbert Announces 'Hobbit Week,' Featuring Film's Stars
The "Colbert Report" host and avid Tolkien fan will have on his show the film's stars Martin Freeman, Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen, as well as Peter Jackson.
Stephen Colbert is bringing Middle Earth to Midtown Manhattan.
A devoted fan of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy series, the Colbert Report host will celebrate the release of the first chapter of the big-screen adaptation of The Hobbit with an entire week dedicated to the film on his Comedy Central series. He will welcome as guests Ian McKellen, who plays Gandalf, on Monday, Dec. 3; Martin Freeman (Bilbo Baggins) on Tuesday; director Peter Jackson on Wednesday; and Andy Serkis (Gollum) on Thursday.
Colbert has made no secret of his love for the series: He speaks Elvish, the language spoken by elves in the book, and visited the New Zealand set of the film during production. While there, he was given a small role in a future Hobbit film. Jackson is planning three Hobbit movies, marking his second Tolkien trilogy. He helmed the Lord of the Rings films, winning three Oscars for 2003's series ender The Return of the King.
He already has had one star from the franchise on his show; in 2011, he peppered Tolkien questions at Elijah Wood, who starred as Frodo Baggins in the Lord of the Rings saga and will reprise the role in a smaller capacity in the Hobbit films.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!