Stephen Frears' 'Philomena' to Get Gala Screening at London Film Fest
The movie, starring Judi Dench and Steve Coogan, will be shown during the festival's 57th edition in October.
LONDON – Stephen Frears’ Philomena, starring Judi Dench and Steve Coogan, will get a gala screening during this year's 57th BFI London Film Festival.
The movie is based on a true story of a woman’s search for her lost son who was taken away from her in 1950's Ireland. After years of searching in vain, she teams up with a political journalist to find him.
The film will be this year's American Express gala presentation on Oct. 16 and will unspool at the Odeon Leicester Square.
The screenplay is written by Coogan and Jeff Pope, based on the book “The Lost Child of Philomena Lee” by Martin Sixsmith.
Pathe is set to release the film in Britain on Nov. 1.
Frears, Dench and Coogan are all expected to attend.
BFI head of exhibition and festival director Clare Stewart said: "Stephen Frears demonstrates his customary flair for extracting brilliant performances and balancing cogent wit and deep pathos while Judi Dench and Steve Coogan adroitly navigate the tonal shifts between drama and humor and imbue their real-life characters with depth and dignity."
American Express returns to the festival as principal sponsor with a renewed three-year partnership.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack