Steve Guttenberg Speaks Out on Bubba Smith's Death
"Bubba was my friend. His generosity was far larger than his physical stature," he says of his Police Academy co-star.
Steve Guttenberg is saddened by the death of his Police Academy co-star Bubba Smith.
"Bubba was my friend. His generosity was far larger than his physical stature," Guttenberg tells TMZ.com
"Only his gift for caring about his friends and family could compare with his achievements on the football field, film and television. He also laughed like no other," added Guttenberg.
Smith's body was found by his caretaker Wednesday in his Baldwin Hills home in Los Angeles. He was 66.
Officials believe he died of natural causes.
He was a defensive linema at Michigan State and inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame before going on to a nine-season NFL career with the Baltimore Colts, Oakland Raiders and Houston Oilers in the '60s and '70s.
Smith then transitioned to acting with the Police Academy films and on TV series Blue Thunder. He also memorably appeared in Miller Lite commercials.
His last film, Daze: Vol. Too, may never be released because it doesn't have a distributor, ep Miller Uwanawich says. It features a song-and-dance number that spoofs Police Academy.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)