Steve Harvey Renewed Through 2016
Surpassing Katie Couric among key female demographics, the comedian's Endemol-produced daytime talker is one of the few breakout hits of the freshman crop.
Steve Harvey's daytime talk show already received a second-season renewal. Now NBC-owned stations have picked the show up for two additional seasons, taking Harvey into 2016 in 65 percent of the country.
The show, produced by Endemol and airing in front of Ellen on NBC-owned stations, is one of the few solid hits of the new daytime crop amid quick cancelations for Ricki Lake and Jeff Probst. Anderson Cooper's daytime talker also was canceled this season after two seasons. And Katie Couric's expensive daytime show for Disney-ABC has experienced unsteady ratings.
Meanwhile, Harvey has gained on Couric in recent months among key female demographics. For the May 2013 sweeps period Harvey was No. 1 among women 18-49 and 25-54 and was the only new show to build over its lead-in and improve in its time period year-over-year. Across the metered markets in May, the show was up over its lead-in by 24 percent in households, and 25 percent with women 25-54.
“Steve is one of the best entertainers in the country, and his first season has been a tremendous success because of the personal connection he makes with the daytime audience," Ted Harbert, chairman of NBC Broadcasting, said in a statement. "It's so great to see Steve’s very funny and substantive show being rewarded with long-term commitments from our station partners."
Added David Goldberg, chairman and CEO of Endemol North America: "The sale of the show through 2016 is a testimony to its popularity, the immense talent of Steve Harvey and his ability to resonate with a broad and diverse daytime audience. I am grateful to Steve, his dedicated and creative producers as well as NBCUniversal Domestic TV Distribution and our station partners around the country."
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead