Steve McQueen's 'Le Mans' Driving Suit Sells for Nearly $1 Million
One of seven "Back to the Future" DeLoreans is sold for more than $500,000 at a recent auction.
Steve McQueen's driving suit from the 1971 film Le Mans was among the iconic Hollywood items sold at a the Profiles in History auction.
Estimated to be sold in the the $200,000-$300,000 range, the suit fetched $984,000, Hemmings reports. In the film, McQueen wore the Hinchman Nomex racing suit when he played Michael Delaney. For nearly four decades, the suit was owned by Timothy Davies, then a 12-year-old boy who won the piece of clothing from a studio-sponsored contest.
The item wasn't the only Le Mans set piece to fetch a large amount of money at auction: The Porsche that McQueen drove in the film was sold for $1.25 million.
One of seven DeLorean cars used in the Back to the Future trilogy was estimated to bring in $400,000-$600,000 and stayed well within that range, selling for $541,000. This particular one appeared in the scene when Michael J. Fox drove through a drive-in screen and landed in the middle of a battle between Indians and the U.S. Cavalry in Back to the Future III.
After filming, the car sat on the Universal lot until 2003 when it was sold to a private collector who restored it.
Other items that were put up for auction included the a couch used on Friends and the ruby slippers in Wizard of Oz.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game