Stevie Wonder Makes Divorce Official
The R&B singer filed court documents on July 27 to end his marriage of 11 years with fashion designer Kai Millard Morris.
Stevie Wonder’s “My Cherie Amor” is no more.
The soul singer announced Friday his official split from wife Kai Millard Morris. Married since 2001, the couple has been legally separated since October 2009. Born Stevland Hardaway Morris, Wonder is represented by attorney Laura Wasser, who’s previously handled proceedings for several celebrity clients such as Maria Shriver, Kim Kardashian and the former Ms. Kobe Bryant all in 2011. According to TMZ, he cited irreconcilable differences and authorized the divorce papers by stamping his two fingerprints.
Wonder, the father of five grown children from previous relationships, has two children with Morris-- Kailand, 10 and Mandla, 7. He has agreed to share custody of the two boys and pay child support. In addition, he has offered spousal support.
Morris previously had a successful career as a fashiondesigner, designing a collection for First Lady Michelle in 2009 endorsed by Oprah Winfrey, a personal friend of Wonder. After a series of financial setbacks with her self-titled company Kai Milla Design, she was forced to close her fashion house’s doors in 2010.
Over the course of his legendary fifty-year career, Wonder has earned award accolades as well as a fortune in royalties from classics like “For Once In My Life,” “I Was Made To Love Her,” “Isn’t She Lovely” and “I Just Called To Say I Love You” that he has penned and performed.
Although it is unclear if the former couple had a prenuptial agreement, Morris stands to gain the benefits from his musical career over the past decade, including: his 2005 album A Time to Love, three best-of hits LPs, concerts included the Philadelphia Live 8 in 2005, proceeds from his 2010 “Bridge Over Troubled Water” cover for the Hope for Haiti Now compilation aiding victims of the earthquake in Port-au-Prince.
This is the crooner’s second divorce. He was briefly wed to Syreeta Wright from 1970-72.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Taylor Schilling & Laura Prepon Are All About the Details for 'Orange is the New Black'!
- Mila Kunis Shines Bright Without the Help of Her Engagement Ring!
- Amy Poehler: 'Movies Are Dumb & TV is Awesome!'
- Sarah Jessica Parker Shows Major Quickness By Answering 73 Questions in Under 6 Minutes - Watch Now!