Stevie Wonder, Ylvis, and Icona Pop to Headline Mnet Asian Music Awards
The South Korean music event hosted by CJ Entertainment will be held in Hong Kong and has added more international names to its core K-pop lineup.
SEOUL — Stevie Wonder will perform at the 2013 Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA), a South Korean pop showcase to be held Nov. 22 at the Asia World-Expo in Hong Kong.
This is the second time the pan-Asian event is taking place in Hong Kong. Wonder, the multiple Grammy Award winner and a United Nations Messenger of Peace, will promote the meaning of peace.
"Wonder expressed interest in participating in the show based on his deep interest in the theme of 2013 MAMA, 'Music Makes One,'" said organizers of MAMA. "Wonder's desire is to promote peace and harmony in Asia and sing for those who know that love is the key."
Other international names included in the lineup are Norwegian duo Ylvis and Swedish electronic duo Icona Pop.
"Ylvis and Icona Pop are both truly rising pop icons in their own rights, leading pop trends with their unique appeals. Their presence at 2013 MAMA is sure to add flavor, spice, and entertainment to what promises to be the best MAMA ever," said organizers.
Big names in the industry such as will.i.iam, apl.de.ap, Snoop Dogg, and Dr. Dre took part in 2011 MAMA while last year's event featured B.o.B and Adam Lambert.
MAMA's core lineup of K-pop and Asian artists includes Big Bang. One of the most popular boy bands hailing from Korea, Big Bang was named Best Worldwide Act at the 2011 MTV Europe Music Awards and Artist of the Year at 2012 MAMA. Its leader, G-Dragon, made headlines this summer by appearing opposite Missy Elliott at KCON, a K-pop convention held in Los Angeles.
Other artists taking part in this year's event have yet to be announced.
MAMA began as the Mnet KM Music Festival in 1999, playing an instrumental role in the growth of the Korean music industry. In 2009 it was rebranded as the pan-Asian festival it is today, MAMA, and has been held outside of Korea in places including Macau in 2010 and Hong Kong last year.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!