Storm Chasers Star, 30, Dead
Matt Hughes' last episode aired Wednesday on the Discovery Channel.
Storm Chasers star Matt Hughes died May 26 in Kansas at 30 -- but the news was not widely publicized until his last episode aired on the Discovery Channel Wednesday night.
Hughes, who also worked as a meteorologist on Wichita's ABC affiliate KAKE-TV, committed suicide. He is survived by his wife, Kendra, and two sons, Collin and Hunter. More than 500 people attended his funeral.
"A lot of us didn't know that he suffered from depression," blogged a friend.
Hughes' friend and former colleague wrote on KAKE-TV's website in June: "Matt Hughes was taken to the hospital after trying to take his life. Matt was in the hospital for several days in intensive care, there was a 24 hour vigil outside the waiting room, family, other chasers, business associates, etc. I knew we were going to lose him. What a lot of us didn't know was that he suffered from depression."
Hughes' episode, entitled "Dedication," followed him on his final storm chase. Discovery called it the "best tornado intercept ever."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR