Streaming Service DramaFever Expands Into Korean Children's Programs
The service will add 12 kid-friendly titles from South Korea to its slate of 600 shows from Asia, Europe and South America.
DramaFever, an online video service that streams international television shows, announced Monday that it is expanding into children’s content with the launch of 12 titles from South Korea.
The shows will stream under the DramaFever Kids banner on the company’s website. Among them are Tayo the Little Bus, which follows a mischievous blue bus, and Pororo, a series about a penguin and his friends.
In addition to the Korean shows, DramaFever plans to add Chinese and Spanish shows to its children’s programming slate.
DramaFever CEO Suk Park said customers requested that kid-friendly content be added to the site.
“There are a whole bunch of folks who want to encourage their children to think with a more global perspective,” he told The Hollywood Reporter. “It widens the horizons for their children.”
Park co-founded DramaFever in 2009 to bring Korean dramas to U.S. viewers. Since then, the site has expanded into shows from Asia, Europe and South America.
The service has a catalog of about 600 titles and 14,000 episodes. Many of the episodes air in the original language with an option for English or Spanish subtitles.
DramaFever, which has more than 15 million monthly users, follows a similar model to Hulu. People can watch ad-supported shows for free or subscribe to watch shows without the ads. It also provides content to Hulu through a licensing deal. Park says DramaFever is now the largest provider of Asian content on Hulu.
The company is backed by AMC Networks, Bertelsmann, YouTube co-founder Steve Chen and others.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!