Study: 'Family Guy,' 'Basketball Wives' Were Most Social TV Shows of July
Fox was the top network in terms of social media activity garnered, according to a new TV ratings system from New York-based SocialGuide.
NEW YORK - VH1's Basketball Wives was the most social program in primetime in July, Fox's Family Guy was the most social program overall across all airings, and Fox ranked as the top social TV network ahead of the CW as its viewers engaged the most on social media channels around its programming.
Those are the findings of the first-ever Social 100, a TV ratings system focusing on social media activity from New York-based company SocialGuide.
The first report as the system launched out of beta is for July and ranks the most social programs, episodes, sports events and networks on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
The system tracks programs that air across 170 of the most popular broadcast and cable networks and uses social data sourced from Twitter and Facebook, including total comments, unique commenters and average followers per unique.
MyNetworkTV, NBC and ESPN rounded out the most social networks in July, according to SocialGuide.
Family Guy attracted 159,394 unique commenters and 276,320 comments in July, compared to the 233,212 comments from 153,695 uniques that Nickelodeon's SpongeBob SquarePants attracted. Basketball Wives ranked third in overall programs with 136,665 uniques and 274,246 comments.
In primetime, that show had 71,870 uniques and 125,042 comments, followed by the 2011 ESPYs on ESPN and Discovery's Great White Invasion.
SocialGuide said it mined and filtered more than 10.5 million social TV comments by more than 2.6 million unique users for over 4,150 unique programs in July.
“Understanding the social footprint of a program is becoming increasingly important to networks and agencies,” said Sean Casey, founder and CEO of SocialGuide. “We developed The Social 100 to give comprehensive insight into the potential social reach and social engagement across the U.S. television landscape.”
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting