Sugarland Says Injuries Fans Suffered at State Fair Stage Collapse Were 'Their Own Fault'
UPDATED: Lawyers for the country duo say that attendees failed to take necessary actions to make sure they were safe; Sugarland's manager issued a statement on behalf of the group.
Sugarland is turning the tables on its fans.
The country duo is saying injuries fans suffered during last year's deadly stage collapse at the Indiana State Fair were "their own fault," attorneys for Sugarland said.
As the Associated Press reports, lawyers for the band say many or all of the injuries happened because fans failed to take necessary actions to make sure they were safe.
PHOTOS: Hollywood's Memorable Mea Culpas
High winds had knocked down the stage before Sugarland was set to take the stage Aug. 13.
Seven people died as a result and nearly five dozen attendees were injured.
Sugarland was named in a lawsuit last November by survivors and family members of the deceased, seeking unspecified damages. According to the plaintiff’s attorney, Sugarland’s contract gave the performers final say on whether the show should be canceled due to weather.
The band filed a response Feb. 16 to the suit, saying that state fair officials and Mid-America Sound Corp., the company who built the stage rigging, were ultimately the ones responsible.
Attorneys for Sugarland are looking for a jury trial.
On Tuesday afternoon, Sugarland manager Gail Gellman issued the following statement: "Sadly when a tragedy occurs, people want to point fingers and try to sensationalize the disaster. The single most important thing to Sugarland, are their fans. Their support and love over the past 9 years has been unmatched. For anyone to think otherwise is completely devastating to them."