Sugarland Concert Stage Collapse Leaves at Least Four Dead (Video)
High winds caused the tragic accident at the Indiana State Fair.
A massive gust of wind turned a festive concert at the Indiana State Fair into a tragic event on Saturday night. At least four people died and dozens were injured when a strong wind blew through the concert venue just before Sugarland was to take the stage.
Winds on Saturday night were estimated between winds between 60 and 70 mph.
The Indianapolis Department of Public Safety posted on its Twitter page the death toll and wrote that 40 people had been taken to hospitals in the area. An unknown number are in critical condition.
The duo Sugarland were headlining the event. They wrote on their Twitter: “We are all right. We are praying for our fans, and the people of Indianapolis. We hope you'll join us. They need your strength.”
Singer Sara Bareilles, who had performed on that stage earlier, wrote on her Twitter, “I'm speechless and feel so helpless. Please send love and prayers to Indianapolis tonight. My heart aches for the lives lost.”
In July, a stage at the Ottawa Bluesfest in Canada collapsed due to high winds while the band Cheap Trick was playing. No one died at that event.
The harrowing scene was caught in the video below.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera