Summer Movies Preview: 'Epic' Opens May 24
Fox Animation Studios could have a franchise on its hand with the pic from the "Ice Age" and "Rio" crew, based on William Joyce's "The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs."
This story first appeared in the May 3 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
When Pixar's Brave hit theaters last summer, many in Hollywood whispered that it would never work since it featured a feisty girl as its lead. Yet the family film took in a solid $538.8 million worldwide and won the Oscar for best animated feature.
Enter Epic, featuring another young female heroine.
If it catches on, the movie could be a franchise for Fox Animation Studios, whose Vanessa Morrison is determined to promote strong female characters, and Blue Sky Studios, the team behind Ice Age and Rio.
Based on William Joyce's The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs, Epic tells the story of a young girl who finds herself drawn into a secret world where she must help a team of whimsical characters save their forest from evil forces. Chris Wedge (Ice Age) directed, and the voice cast is led by Amanda Seyfried.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'