Summer Movies Preview: 'Epic' Opens May 24
Fox Animation Studios could have a franchise on its hand with the pic from the "Ice Age" and "Rio" crew, based on William Joyce's "The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs."
This story first appeared in the May 3 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
When Pixar's Brave hit theaters last summer, many in Hollywood whispered that it would never work since it featured a feisty girl as its lead. Yet the family film took in a solid $538.8 million worldwide and won the Oscar for best animated feature.
Enter Epic, featuring another young female heroine.
If it catches on, the movie could be a franchise for Fox Animation Studios, whose Vanessa Morrison is determined to promote strong female characters, and Blue Sky Studios, the team behind Ice Age and Rio.
Based on William Joyce's The Leaf Men and the Brave Good Bugs, Epic tells the story of a young girl who finds herself drawn into a secret world where she must help a team of whimsical characters save their forest from evil forces. Chris Wedge (Ice Age) directed, and the voice cast is led by Amanda Seyfried.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Jennifer Garner's Birthday Will Be Spent At A Talent Show
- Pharrell Williams Tells Oprah About The Big Mistake He Made On His First Solo Album (VIDEO)
- The First 'Orange Is The New Black' Season 2 Trailer Is Finally Here And It's Amazing
- A Bloods General Describes Gang Life In Exclusive Clip From Tribeca Film, 'Five Star'