Summit Partners and TA Associates Catch Bigpoint
Investors take control of Germany online gaming group in $350 million deal.
COLOGNE, Germany -- Private equity groups Summit Partners and TA Associates have taken majority control of Bigpoint, plumping down $350 million for a 67 percent stake in the German casual gaming group.
NBC Universal's investment arm, Peacock Equity Fund, cashed out on the deal and is no longer a shareholder in Bigpoint. NBC owner General Electric and investor GMT Communications sold most of their shares and will retain only just 2.5 percent of Bigpoint.
Company founder Heiko Hubertz retains a 30.5 percent stake in his company.
The cash injection should give a further boost to Bigpoint, which boasts 185 million registered online users, making it one of the world's largest online gaming firms.
Bigpoint designs free-to-play online games and makes its money -- a $17.5 million profit in 2009 -- by charging users for extras that assist game play.
The company recently partnered with Electronic Arts to bring its Play4Free games like Lord of Ultima to a global audience and it has several online games based on NBC Universal brands including Battlestar Galactica and The Mummy.
Bigpoint is already a European giant. With today's capital boost, it plans to stamp its imprint onto the U.S. market.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting