Sumner Redstone Donates $1.5 Million for Fight Against Polio, Poverty
The gift is the latest in a string of donations as the Viacom and CBS Corp. executive chairman shares his wealth.
NEW YORK - Viacom and CBS Corp. executive chairman and controlling shareholder Sumner Redstone continues to donate and share his wealth.
The Global Poverty Project said Wednesday that the Sumner M. Redstone Foundation has donated $1.5 million to further its mission of eradicating extreme poverty, continuing his recent string of donations. The contribution will support the group's "End of Polio Campaign," focused on ending polio. The gift will also support the group's endowment fund, which fights poverty via campaigns for health, fair trade and good governance.
Earlier this summer, Redstone donated another $720,000 to the Cambodian Children's Fund, which provides health and educational services to impoverished and abused children in Cambodia's capital Phnom Penh. That brought the media mogul's total commitment to CCF to $1.72 million. Last year, Redstone donated $1.5 million to schools he attended and $1 million to advocacy group Autism Speaks.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is also a major funder of the Global Poverty Project.
"By joining forces and focusing our resources, we can finally end polio and find a path to the eradication of extreme poverty," Redstone said Wednesday about his latest donation. "I hope others will heed the call and join me in this vitally important mission."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'