Sundance 2013: Academy to Visit the Festival for the First Time
In its inaugural visit to Park City, the Oscar organization will present a conversation with producer Will Parker and conduct a presentation about its own activities.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is taking its show on the road, and for the first time, it is hosting a program at the Sundance Film Festival, where on Saturday, Jan. 19, it will join with The Blackhouse Foundation to present a conversation with producer Will Packer. Packer, who became a member of the Academy in 2012, has producing credits on such films as Think Like a Man, Takers, Obsessed and Stomp the Yard.
Brickson Diamond, chairman of The Blackhouse Foundation, which supports black filmmakers by spotlighting their work at prominent film festivals, will conduct the conversation with Packer, which is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. at Buona Vita, located at 804 Main Street in Park City.
Under its new CEO, Dawn Hudson, who previously served as executive director of Film Independent, the Academy has begun to reach out to a wider constituency. The conversation with Packer will be followed by an Academy presentation and reception at 5:30 p.m. that will address such issues as qualification rules, filmmaker engagement, educational programs, festival grants and membership.
Academy executives who will be on hand will include Randy Haberkamp, managing director of programming, education and preservation; Patrick Harrison, New York program director; and Torene Svitil, awards manager.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Johnny Depp & Amber Heard Hold Hands at 'Cabaret' Opening!
- Emma Stone & Felicity Jones Bring Girl Power to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Andrew Garfield Rides Bus with Underprivileged Kids to 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' Premiere!
- Olivia Munn Insisted Her 'Newsroom' Character Sloane Not Wear Turtlenecks!