Sundance 2013: QED Taps John Hegeman as President of Worldwide Marketing and Acquisitions
The New Regency and Fox Atomic veteran reunites with his former Artisan Entertainment cohort, QED CEO Bill Block.
QED International has tapped New Regency and Fox Atomic veteran John Hegeman as its president of worldwide marketing and acquisitions.
In the newly created post, Hegeman will oversee global marketing and acquisitions as well as all genre productions for the indie production, financing and sales distribution company. He will report to QED CEO Bill Block.
Hegeman and Block previously worked together at art-house player Artisan Entertainment, where Hegeman was president of worldwide marketing and helped launch such films as such films as The Blair Witch Project, Darren Aronofsky's Pi and Buena Vista Social Club.
Hegeman will work on upcoming QED titles including the action drama Ten, starring Arnold Schwarzenegger; the romantic comedy Fading Gigolo, directed by John Turturro and starring Turturro and Woody Allen; and Haunt, a horror film directed by Mac Carter.
He also will be on hand at the Sundance Film Festival where he’ll be looking to discover new talent.
“We’re taking significant steps to establish QED as a leading provider of big-screen commercial entertainment that can engage audiences on a worldwide basis, and John is the ideal person to help us take advantage of new opportunities which the market presents,” Block said. “John and I have worked together for many years, and with his depth and breadth of experience and unique skill set, he will provide invaluable marketing expertise, creative direction and leadership as we continue to grow the QED brand.”
Added Hegeman: “QED’s new slate of pictures is an exciting mix of genres, all featuring filmmakers with a unique voice and vision, which makes this a particularly exciting time to join Bill and the QED team. As QED looks to acquire more properties, we want to be in business with creative talent as early as possible and help get their vision to the big screen, whether that vision originates with comics, games, online content or finished films. The ideas and stories are going to come from all types of different directions, sources and filmmakers."
Hegeman is one of the industry’s top marketing and genre minds, known for using innovative techniques to help launch hundreds of motion pictures. He most recently served as one of the producers on Haunt. Before that, he was chief marketing officer at New Regency. He previously served as served as chief operating officer at the short-lived genre label Fox Atomic.
He also was president of worldwide marketing at Lionsgate.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws