Sundance indicts 'Chicago 10'
NEW YORK -- The Sundance Film Festival will launch Jan. 18 with Brett Morgen's "Chicago 10," a documentary on the anti-war demonstrations at the 1968 Democratic National Convention. The film features footage of the events and animated segments voiced by Hank Azaria, Mark Ruffalo, Dylan Baker, Liev Schreiber, Nick Nolte, Jeffrey Wright and Roy Scheider.
The opening night feature, presented by River Road Entertainment and Participant Productions, also covers the 1969 Chicago Conspiracy Trial that followed. Morgen uses period music and footage of the Chicago 10, including Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin. One of the defense attorneys, Leonard Weinglass, lends his voice to the animation.
"We are particularly excited to be able to present a film that pushes the boundaries of many of the traditional aspects of documentary filmmaking, that speaks to audiences beyond what one might expect and that exemplifies the range of creativity and diversity that we support at the festival," Sundance festival director Geoffrey Gilmore said.
The film is produced by Graydon Carter and Morgen, who also teamed on Morgen's last feature docu, "The Kid Stays in the Picture." William Pohlad, Laura Bickford, Jeff Skoll, Diane Weyermann, Peter Schlessel and Ricky Strauss serve as executive producers.
River Road's recent productions include "A Prairie Home Companion" and "Brokeback Mountain."
The 2007 Sundance Film Festival runs Jan. 18-28 in Park City, Salt Lake City, Ogden and Sundance, Utah. The full Sundance feature lineup will be announced Nov. 29 and 30.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Aerosmith's 'Dream On' Performed To Honor Boston Marathon Victims And Survivors (VIDEO)
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"