Sundance London Signs Tricky Performance for its Inaugural Outing
Trip-hop star and cult music maker to perform debut album Maxinquaye with Martina Topley-Bird in its entirety at event.
LONDON – Musician, producer and actor Tricky will reunite on stage with vocalist and musician Martina Topley-Bird for the first time in 15 years to perform his debut album Maxinquaye at the first-ever Sundance London as part of the four-day festival’s music program.
Due to grace the stage April 27, 2012, Tricky and Topley-Bird will play the trip-hop artist’s debut in its entirety, organizers said.
Sundance London takes place April 26 – 29 and will feature the U.K. premieres of films fresh from the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, which took place earlier this year in Park City, Utah.
Tricky said: “To me, Sundance is like the opportunity Island [Records] and Chris Blackwell gave me; a chance for an artist to make their art without compromise for commercial reasons.”
As a performer, Tricky is best known as a trail-blazer in the Bristol trip-hop scene of the early 1990s, and his album Maxinquaye helped define “The Bristol Sound.”
Tricky first came to the public’s attention performing and co-writing on three tracks from Massive Attack's critically acclaimed and multi-platinum debut Blue Lines LP.
Aside from his various solo music projects, his on-screen credits include Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element and a brief cameo in the John Woo-directed action thriller Face/Off.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR